River District URA: Completed Projects
The River District has been a remarkable success, with public investment in an array of neighborhood parks, new roads and parking facilities, affordable and catalyzing market-rate housing and innovative projects that maintain the vibrancy of Portland’s downtown core. A particular focus on building relationships to help grow the district has resulted in strong public-private partnerships that advance the URA’s overall objectives to develop a wide range of new housing units, new commercial opportunities and open space, and foster a "24-hour" city environment for residents, visitors, and employees.
Notable accomplishments in the River District:
- The Brewery Blocks: 5-block, $350 million project received PDC assistance for infrastructure and parking
- Conversion of the historic Meier & Frank block into The Nines Hotel/Macy’s
- Construction of Central City Streetcar on NW 10th and 11th Avenues, and NW Lovejoy and Northrup Streets
- Demolition of the Lovejoy and 10th Avenue ramps and reconstruction of those streets at grade
- Acquisition of land and development of 4.5 acres of park space (Jamison Park, Tanner Springs Park, The Fields)
- Construction of the Classical Chinese Garden along with other redevelopment efforts in Old Town/Chinatown
- Construction of new streets and parking facilities
- Financing of 2,000-3,000 affordable housing units, much of this in a unique partnership with Hoyt Street Properties, a major landowner in the district.
- Bud Clark Commons (formerly the Resource Access Center)
- Transformation of the Meier & Frank warehouse into the current home of Vestas Americas North American headquarters
View a map of River District 2008-2009 Projects >