A comprehensive new equity policy
January 17, 2013
Patricia Weekley, John Jackley and Jeff Fish present PDC's new equity policy to the PDC Board
Last week the PDC Board of Commissioners approved unanimously a comprehensive new equity policy for the agency that significantly expands the scope and breadth of our equity requirements for both internal business practices and all PDC resources and programs. The adopted policy moves us closer to achieving our goal of inclusivity, using our established partnerships to create broadly shared economic opportunity for all Portlanders.
Major differences between the new PDC Equity Policy and the former Business and Workforce Equity Policy:
- Equity coverage is expanded beyond construction to all PDC business lines.
- Requirements now apply to traded sector construction, cluster firms, loans and grants, and non-financial investments.
- Equity coverage is expanded to internal business policies such as recruitment, retention and training.
- Authority is delegated to the Executive Director to implement specific procedures covering construction specifications, a Human Resources equity plan, community benefit requirements, an equity lens to address financial resource disparities, and inclusionary community engagement.
The draft administrative procedures for the new policy retain PDC’s existing aggressive thresholds, goals, and requirements for construction, and implement the recommendations of our disparity study stakeholder committee. Construction changes:
- Allowing the use of Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) firms in addition to MWESB certifications.
- Professional services are now included.
- Prompt payment required.
- Any self-performed work on PDC-funded projects will require advance permission by the agency.
- All alternatives to low bid will be considered for projects.
- PDC may require developers and prime contractors to use a DBE/MWESB coordinator on projects.
- Insurance and bonding barriers will be reduced.
Download the policy
PDC Equity Policy
Board report and draft administrative procedures