Partners pause in Veterans Memorial Coliseum agreement
December 19, 2012
The public and private partners in the Veterans Memorial Coliseum development – City of Portland, Portland Development Commission (PDC), Portland Arena Management and the Portland Winterhawks – have paused as the Winterhawks respond to recent sanctions levied against the team by the Western Hockey League (WHL).
Portland City Council reviewed a negotiated redevelopment agreement among the parties earlier this month. Subsequent hearings on the agreement have been delayed by the unknown timing and outcome of the Winterhawks’ appeal to the WHL board of governors.
Once the WHL makes a final determination, the parties will evaluate any impacts to the operations of the Winterhawks and the Veterans Memorial Coliseum before bringing the redevelopment agreement back to Portland City Council.
Mayor Sam Adams said, "The Western Hockey League has delayed until February 7, 2013 the Portland Winterhawks’ opportunity to appeal the sanctions announced on November 18. I am not comfortable recommending an agreement to the Portland City Council until the sanctions are finalized and the Veterans Memorial Coliseum deal is amended to reflect the fiscal impact of those sanctions. I am confident that the next City Council will approve a redevelopment deal on March 13, 2013, to secure a better future for the Rose Quarter."
PDC Chair Scott Andrews said, "The mayor’s leadership in this extremely complex process has inspired the dedicated public-private partnership behind this project. Although we are all disappointed with these circumstances, everyone is determined to see this through and preserve the Veterans Memorial Coliseum as a valuable community asset and a tribute to the veterans who have served our country."
Contact: Shawn Uhlman, PDC, 503-823-7994