Startup PDX Challenge 2014: Inclusive Innovation
APPLICATIONS CLOSED ON JUNE 23, 2014.
6/24/14: Startup PDX Challenge draws 134 applicants from 7 states & Canada!
Startup PDX Challenge is an annual competition designed to connect startups to Portland’s growing entrepreneurial ecosystem and assist the businesses for one year through their early stage growth. We are seeking diverse founding teams of for-profit startups with an ambition to scale to a national or international market.
Challenge winners will receive a package valued at $50,000 per company:
- $15,000 working capital grant (no equity taken)
- Free rent for one year
- Free legal services
- Free marketing and PR services
- Free hiring and HR services
- Free memberships and access to eight different organizations and programs that focus on entrepreneurs
Challenge merit finalists will receive a package valued at $4,000 per company:
- Scholarship to entrepreneurship class at Small Business Development Center
- Discounted rate at Forge Portland coworking space
- Free memberships and access to seven different organizations and programs that focus on entrepreneurs
PDC is dedicated to growing the next generation of diverse leadership in our innovation economy. By supporting leaders from underrepresented populations, we provide mentors for the next generation workforce and ensure a robust and sustainable economic future for Portland. Learn more about inclusive innovation >
Why is this important? Not only do diverse teams drive innovation but the shifting demographics in the U.S. demand the participation of a higher percentage of underrepresented minorities and women in the innovation economy to ensure a sustainable economic future. While 75 percent of Portland’s population is white, 45 percent of our school-aged children are of color. If Portland is to remain competitive in the global economy, those developing the next generation of innovative products, ideas and companies must be diverse in gender and ethnic background.