Startup PDX Challenge 2015
Applications for the 2015 Startup PDX Challenge will open in early September. Inclusive Innovation continues to be a strategic priority for PDC and will again be the focus of Startup PDX Challenge 2015. We will send updates later this summer about the new and improved program and prize package. Sign up for our email list (under Business Services > Startup PDX Challenge) to receive the latest news on the Startup PDX Challenge.
Portland is a great place for startups, and we are committed to helping you find the resources you need to make your company successful. We are also very excited to support startups founded by women and people of color. If you have questions about the Challenge or are a member of a startup founding team needing help in navigating organizations and resources in the Portland startup community, contact Katherine Krajnak.
Startup PDX Challenge 2014
Six startup businesses made the cut to win the second annual Startup PDX Challenge. The 2014 Startup PDX Challenge focused on finding entrepreneurs with diverse founding teams and the ambition to scale to a national or international market. Each company received a package valued at $50,000, with a $15,000 working capital grant, a full year of rent-free office space at 115 SW Ash in Portland’s Old Town/Chinatown, and free professional advice, memberships and services.
The six winners, all from the Portland metropolitan area:
- Yellow Scope, a creator of rigorous science kits just for girls;
- RAFT Syrups, which brews organic botanical and cane sugar syrup for cocktails and home soda making;
- Society Nine, a fight gear and activewear apparel brand for women;
- Noappfee.com, a technology solution to rental market problems for landlords and tenants;
- Design + Culture Lab, a research-based urban social lab addressing issues of cultural, racial and ethnic inequality; and
- Tique Box, a subscription service for specialty items from local artisans. (Note: Tiquebox has dissolved and each founders has moved on to start a new business: With Love from PDX and Clientjoy.)
Merit finalists : Genki Su; GRASP; VDO Interpreters; and Carehubs, from the Portland area; and ICOM of Atlanta, GA, which was also the winner of the public vote.