Startup PDX Challenge 2015
Six startup businesses with diverse founders have won the third annual Startup PDX Challenge. The continued emphasis on diversity in this year's Challenge builds on PDC’s ongoing commitment to inclusive entrepreneurship and increasing high wage jobs in the innovation economy for underrepresented populations.
The six winners, all from the Portland metropolitan area, are Audibility, Inc., a headphone maker with a social mission;” Morebots, creator of interactive printed children's books that bring stories to life; Poda Foods, a supplier of food-grade, GMO-free cricket protein powder; Roberts, a “Savile Row meets Amazon” concept for custom men’s tailoring; Royalty Spirits, creator of Miru pear-flavored vodka; and Shop Hoppn, an international barber network and database/app. The People’s Choice Award went to Tanglewood Beverage Company, a specialty chai and beverage maker.
Read the press release >
Startup PDX Challenge is an annual competition designed to connect startups to Portland’s growing entrepreneurial ecosystem and assist the businesses for one year through their early stage growth.
We are seeking diverse founding teams of for-profit startups with an ambition to scale to a national or international market.
Applications closed 11:59 p.m. on September 30, 2015.
Challenge winners will receive a package valued at over $50,000 per company:
- Up to $25,000 in the form of a convertible note or a low interest loan. Check our FAQ page for more information on the financial offerings
- Access to mentors and advisors via a partnership with Portland Incubator Experiment
- Free rent for one year
- Free legal services
- Free marketing and PR services
- Free hiring and HR services
- Free memberships and access to six different organizations and programs that focus on entrepreneurs
Winner of the public vote will receive:
- Scholarship for a class of their choice at the Small Business Development Center (SBDC)
- Three months of free coworking at Deskhub
- Free memberships and access to four different organizations and programs that focus on entrepreneurs