Startup PDX Challenge 2015
Meet the 19 semifinalists
We've narrowed a field of 94 Startup PDX Challenge applicants to 19 semi-finalists! Up to six for-profit startup businesses will receive a package valued at more than $50,000 per company with up to $25,000 in a convertible note or low-interest loan, a full year of rent-free office space at 222 NW Fifth Avenue in Portland’s Old Town/Chinatown neighborhood, and free professional advice, memberships and services. Meet the semifinalists >
Startup PDX Challenge is an annual competition designed to connect startups to Portland’s growing entrepreneurial ecosystem and assist the businesses for one year through their early stage growth.
We are seeking diverse founding teams of for-profit startups with an ambition to scale to a national or international market.
Applications closed 11:59 p.m. on September 30, 2015.
Challenge winners will receive a package valued at over $50,000 per company:
- Up to $25,000 in the form of a convertible note or a low interest loan. Check our FAQ page for more information on the financial offerings
- Access to mentors and advisors via a partnership with Portland Incubator Experiment
- Free rent for one year
- Free legal services
- Free marketing and PR services
- Free hiring and HR services
- Free memberships and access to six different organizations and programs that focus on entrepreneurs
Winner of the public vote will receive:
- Scholarship for a class of their choice at the Small Business Development Center (SBDC)
- Three months of free coworking at Deskhub
- Free memberships and access to four different organizations and programs that focus on entrepreneurs
Why should you apply?
- It’s easy and free. Read our four-step guide on how to apply.
- Your application gets in front of the right people. A committee of investors, startup founders, and accelerator and incubator managers will review and select the top applicants. They’re volunteering, but they are also looking for companies to invest in or assist. Even if you are not a fit for the Challenge, you may be a fit for them.
- We can better assist your business. If we know more about you and your business, the PDC business development staff can help you tap into appropriate Portland business resources and make referrals.
- It’s fun! Spend some quality time to lay out your business strategy. If that’s not fun for you, at least the exercise of thinking through your business model is worthwhile.